Monday 17 July 2017

Hello Monday

Hello

Well it has been a long weekend as my beautiful Granddaughter Ava has been back to hospital with another nasty bout of tonsillitis. Poor little mite is due to have them and her pesky adenoids out at the end of the month but they chose to cause trouble prior to her opp. She's had an awfully high temperature, sickness and headache.... she was so ill she couldn't bare to be touched and couldn't stand light - automatic panic stations. Thankfully she seems to be a little better today, day four of antibiotics - fingers crossed she will continue to improve. So, being creative has been the least of my worries this weekend.

Today I've finished a project I started last Monday and put down after completing the background. It is made up of an 8in panel of greyboard. I then wove strips of decorative paper onto the surface and sealed using matte medium. Once dry I applied white acrylic paint using a brayer and added texture paste through the Burlap Stencil by Tim Holtz.

The ideas has been swirling around in my head but I never seemed to be able to firm anything up. It is strange how some days the ideas flow and things just come together and other times you can sit for hours procrastinating and getting nowhere! Are you the same? If so what do you do to get your creative mojo in gear?
Today I've set about with my distress crayons, inks and stamps to finish adding detail to the background. The frames are Spellbinders Majestic Elements Die of which I cut the two largest frames and altered the largest using vintage photo distress ink direct to the card and followed by a good layer of distress embossing powder in the same colour. I love this product... unlike normal embossing powder, this dries with a gritty texture, ideal for  adding colour and dimension. After adding gilding wax in copper and green, I cut a few more layers from an old book and other scrapbook paper. The edges where distressed, the number from a Tim Holtz label added and then all sewn together on my trusty machine.

The squares where all layered together, vintage lace added and some beautiful roses which I've had in my stash for some time with a little netting and Tim Holtz foliage to finish the ensemble. The date is cut from an old book and a key with the word 'Memories' was added along with an old pen nib and the word 'cherished'.

Finally the panel was placed at an angle in a box which came as packaging - never throw anything away, it may have a use one day! I added some Tim Holtz feet and the handle is an odd decorative brad with a little handle on top, all metal embellishments were altered using alcohol ink in rust, espresso and raisin. 


This project was designed to enter into the 'All Squared Up' challenge at A Vintage Journey.

I would also like to enter the following challenge at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge  # 38 'Altered Embellishments' 

I hope you like the project as much as I have enjoyed making it. If so, please leave a comment.

See you soon with more creative play.

Hugs, Julie x

8 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous! I adore mosaics, but usually the busy print pushes me away. Your subtle approach is refreshing! Great composition and beautiful details. We are thrilled to have you join our challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so happy to see your amazing project in our winners lineup! Biggest congrats! Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  2. How beautiful and perfectly vintage! Autumn put it perfectly when she commented your approach is refreshing! And I would like to thank you for joining our All Squared Up challenge at A Vintage Journey with this lovely work of art! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your layered squares - a beautiful vintage piece which draws the eye in so cleverly. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful project Julie! I love the feet on your box frame - the off set framings on your vintage image and lovely roses! Hope your granddaughter is feeling better now - and thank you for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, Congratulations! I really like how you wove the background and the frame.s I love the skewed offset frames. Very elegant. Beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, I would like to make one to hold my mums picture.

    ReplyDelete