Friday 20 October 2017

Autumn with A Vintage Journey

Hello All

Today I am happy to be invited to 'A Vintage Journey' where I share a project for Jennie's October Challenge - Crazy for Autumn Colour. This is what I created and my inspiration for doing so...

Autumn is my favourite season so the brief was perfect! We live quite high up in Yorkshire. As I drive in the early morning, I often see the valley below shrouded in mist and the Keats poem ‘To Autumn’ sprung to mind. As a child we were made to learn it by rote!


I planned several designs and ended up doing something completely different but the introductory line of the poem was still my main inspiration - 'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness'. Truth be told, I tend to work best when things develop naturally rather than working to a specific idea, I’m sure you know what I mean?

I have had an old board book which my son had thrown out from his first birthday. Well… it spoke to me on many levels; how could I get rid of it? I’ve had a plan for it from that day on and I felt it would be a great base to frame a verse or two from Keats and to frame an exploratory faux encaustic panel – an idea which has been buzzing around my head for a while.



Starting out with encaustics isn’t cheap so I decided to experiment with beeswax and soya wax, pastels, gelatos and distress crayons. I love the way pastels and wax combine to give a mellow and misty effect and felt they would work perfectly. 
 


I also love the tactile feel of textiles and decided to create a fabric cover for the book using various mediums and techniques, vintage lace, trims and beads. Throw in a favourite set of stamps by Crafty Individuals, distress inked cardstock cut with Tim Holtz’s Fall Foliage dies plus rusty wire and a few choice accessories and here’s my completed project.



I hope you like my contribution to ‘Autumn’? If you are interested in the many techniques included in this project, a lengthy tutorial can be found in the tutorial section above or simply click here.

Please leave a comment and thanks for stopping by

Creative hugs, Julie xx


I would also like to enter this into the following challenges:
Country View Crafts Challenges, Oct 2017- Mixed Media with Autumnal Hues .
Stamping Sensations - October 2017 : Autumn Glory 

6 comments:

  1. Completely beautiful, Julie - I love the delicate autumnal tones and perfect composition of the exterior cover, with wonderful tactile delights in the fabric, the stitching detail, and those crunchy leaves. The encaustic work is amazing too - what a treat of a creation. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey this month.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely incredible Julie! It's been ages since I altered a child's board book and now I can't wait to do another. I love the vintage vibe and beautiful elements, especially the gorgeous tree image you so beautifully altered. Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really lovely creation for our Autumnal theme at Stamping Sensations, something really different which captures the season perfectly, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Stunning autumn project! So many wonderful details. Thank you for sharing it with us at Stamping Sensations.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw this is gorgeous, a beautiful Autumn creation, I l love the vintage misty look it has! Beautiful made. Thanks for joining our challenge at Stamping Sensations. Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an amazing autumnal transformation! Seriously cool! Thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges this month and good luck. Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete